Begin typing your search above and press return to search.

Corporate honchos granted bail by SC

By The Assam Tribune

NEW DELHI, Nov 23 � Five top corporate executives, accused in the 2G spectrum allocation scam, were today granted bail by the Supreme Court raising the hopes of other accused including former Telecom Minister A Raja and DMK MP Kanimozhi, who have been jail for more than six months, reports PTI.

In the first bail in the 2G case, a bench comprising justices GS Singhvi and HL Dattu directed the release of the five corporate honchos�Unitech Limited MD Sanjay Chandra, Swan Telecom Director Vinod Goenka and Reliance Anil Dhirubhai Ambani group executives Gautam Doshi, Hari Nair and Surendra Pipara.

The prolonged detention of the accused with Raja alone being behind the bars for more than 10 months had drawn criticism from jurists, who felt that denial of bail was not proper.

�.....But at the same time, right to bail is not to be denied merely because of the sentiments of the community against the accused,� the bench said in a 63-page verdict.

Hours after the apex court judgement, Special CBI Judge O P Saini ordered their release from Tihar Jail after all the five accused furnished a bond with the two solvent sureties, each of the sum of Rs Five lakh.

Buoyed by the judgement, Kanimozhi and five others approached the Delhi High Court for advancing the hearing on their bail plea which is scheduled for hearing on December 1.

Apart from Kanimozhi, others who have pleaded for bail are former Telecom Secretary Siddhartha Behura, DMK-run Kalaignar TV MD Sharad Kumar and Bollywood filmmaker Karim Morani, Asif Balwa and Rajiv Agarwal, directors of Kusegaon Fruits and Vegetables Pvt Ltd.

Former Telecom Minister A Raja, who is the main accused in the scam, has so far not approached any court for the bail.

Next Story
Similar Posts
Corporate honchos granted bail by SC

NEW DELHI, Nov 23 � Five top corporate executives, accused in the 2G spectrum allocation scam, were today granted bail by the Supreme Court raising the hopes of other accused including former Telecom Minister A Raja and DMK MP Kanimozhi, who have been jail for more than six months, reports PTI.

In the first bail in the 2G case, a bench comprising justices GS Singhvi and HL Dattu directed the release of the five corporate honchos�Unitech Limited MD Sanjay Chandra, Swan Telecom Director Vinod Goenka and Reliance Anil Dhirubhai Ambani group executives Gautam Doshi, Hari Nair and Surendra Pipara.

The prolonged detention of the accused with Raja alone being behind the bars for more than 10 months had drawn criticism from jurists, who felt that denial of bail was not proper.

�.....But at the same time, right to bail is not to be denied merely because of the sentiments of the community against the accused,� the bench said in a 63-page verdict.

Hours after the apex court judgement, Special CBI Judge O P Saini ordered their release from Tihar Jail after all the five accused furnished a bond with the two solvent sureties, each of the sum of Rs Five lakh.

Buoyed by the judgement, Kanimozhi and five others approached the Delhi High Court for advancing the hearing on their bail plea which is scheduled for hearing on December 1.

Apart from Kanimozhi, others who have pleaded for bail are former Telecom Secretary Siddhartha Behura, DMK-run Kalaignar TV MD Sharad Kumar and Bollywood filmmaker Karim Morani, Asif Balwa and Rajiv Agarwal, directors of Kusegaon Fruits and Vegetables Pvt Ltd.

Former Telecom Minister A Raja, who is the main accused in the scam, has so far not approached any court for the bail.