DIBRUGARH, Aug 22 - Debojit Saikia (20), a college student of Nandalal Borgohain City College here succumbed to snake bite at Assam Medical College and Hospital (AMCH) last night reportedly due to non availability of the prescribed anti-venom medicines at the premiere medical institute of the North East.
Saikia was bitten by a snake at around 7.30 pm yesterday in Sessa tea estate. He was admitted to AMCH at around 10 pm according to Aditya Oraon, a close friend of Saikia. �After we were asked to get 30
bottles of anti-venom medicines we rushed to the medical store of AMCH but we were told that the prescribed medicine was out of stock. We then moved around in the city, knocking at the medical stores of at least three leading private nursing homes but found only three bottles. But by then, Saikia was no more,� Oraon told this newspaper.
Dr Atindra Kumar Adhikari, Principal and Chief Superintendent of AMCH admitted that sometimes they do face shortage of certain medicines.
�Yes, we do not have regular supply of the anti-venom medicines. We often face shortage of this medicine,� he told this correspondent when enquired about the medicine.
It needs to be mentioned here that several students had lately become environmentalists and wildlife rescuers. The non availability of anti-venoms in a State, which is lavishly endowed with wildlife, is a matter concern. �It is shameful that so-called premier and prestigious medical institute of the North East does not have emergency medicines of this nature. What will be the plight of the civil hospitals and community health centres of the State at rural areas is understandable,� said Rajib Rudra Tariang, a college teacher who knows about snakes.