GUWAHATI, Sept 30 - Members of the Asom Gana Parishad (AGP) started a 28-hour hunger strike from 9 am today demanding withdrawal of the Central Government�s notification to provide shelter to the foreigners who entered India from Bangladesh and Pakistan because of religious persecution in their countries.
Talking to The Assam Tribune, AGP president Atul Bora, who is also participating in the hunger strike, said that the Government notification is a violation of the Assam Accord. He pointed out that as per the Accord, the foreigners who entered Assam after the midnight of March 24, 1971 should be detected and deported. But as per the recent notification of the Government of India, the Hindu migrants who entered Assam up to December 31 last year, would be given shelter. He said that such a move by the Government of India is not acceptable for the people of Assam. There is no difference between the Congress and the BJP on the issue.
Bora asserted that the AGP would continue its protests till the notification is withdrawn by the Government of India. He said that two sister organizations of the AGP�Asom Yuba Parishad and Asom Mahila Parishad would start a programme to gherao the Members of Parliament on the issue.
Former Chief Minister Prafulla Kumar Mahanta, who also participated in the hunger strike, said that giving shelter to migrants on the basis of religion would pose a serious threat to the language, literature and culture of the indigenous people of the State and all sections of people should oppose the Centre�s move. He pointed out that the Centre�s notification not only violates the provisions of the Assam Accord but if the Government wants to give citizenship to foreigners on the basis of religion, it would amount to violation of the Constitution of India.
Meanwhile, a statewide convention of the participants of the Assam agitation will be held on October 6 to chalk out the future course of action as the Government of India violated the Accord.