Top
Begin typing your search above and press return to search.

Additional troops deployed in West Jaintia

By Correspondent
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Whatsapp
  • Telegram
  • Linkedin
  • Print
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Whatsapp
  • Telegram
  • Linkedin
  • Print
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Whatsapp
  • Telegram
  • Linkedin
  • Print

SHILLONG, Nov 11 - Additional six platoons of security forces are being rushed into West Jaintia Hills district, a day after students clashed with the police resulting in lathicharge, firing of tear gas shells and subsequent injuries.

Official sources said that the additional forces are being sent to maintain normalcy in the district after students of Government College Kiang Nangbah clashed with the police on Tuesday.

The students were demanding immediate extension of the main college building, regularising the services of 13 casual employees, renovation of boys� hostel, repairing of the approach road to the college, amongst other long-pending demands.

They took out the rally against the Government for non-fulfilment of these demands. The students later gathered in front of the Deputy Commissioner�s Office at Jowai and started shouting slogans against the Government.

As the crowd grew restless, there were incidences of stone-pelting and the police restored to lathicharge in which 17 students suffered injuries, including some police officials.

West Jaintia Hills Deputy Commissioner, Arunkumar Kembhavi, said over the phone that there has been no incidence of violence on Wednesday and the situation is normal. However, the district administration is taking precautionary measures.

�We are taking all precautionary measures to thwart any incidences of violence in the district. We also filed FIRs against those involved in the violence on Tuesday. No arrest has been made so far,� he added.

On the other hand, some organisations have condemned the �police highhandedness� in this connection. The Movement for Indigenous People�s Right and Livelihood (MIPRL), in its condemnation letter to the Chief Secretary PBO Warjri, said that the incident occurred due to the �gross incompetence of the State Government�.

The organisation further claimed that the DC �precipitated the situation� while the police carried out the assault in a �brutal manner�.

�In order to restore the faith of people stringent action is to be taken against the erring officials. The interest of justice will only be served by suspension from service and immediate transfer of these officers,� MIPRL vice-chairman, Erwin K Syiem Sutgna, said. Moreover, the Civil Society Women�s Organisation demanded a probe into the incident.

More in Entertainment
Next Story
Similar Posts
Additional troops deployed in West Jaintia

SHILLONG, Nov 11 - Additional six platoons of security forces are being rushed into West Jaintia Hills district, a day after students clashed with the police resulting in lathicharge, firing of tear gas shells and subsequent injuries.

Official sources said that the additional forces are being sent to maintain normalcy in the district after students of Government College Kiang Nangbah clashed with the police on Tuesday.

The students were demanding immediate extension of the main college building, regularising the services of 13 casual employees, renovation of boys� hostel, repairing of the approach road to the college, amongst other long-pending demands.

They took out the rally against the Government for non-fulfilment of these demands. The students later gathered in front of the Deputy Commissioner�s Office at Jowai and started shouting slogans against the Government.

As the crowd grew restless, there were incidences of stone-pelting and the police restored to lathicharge in which 17 students suffered injuries, including some police officials.

West Jaintia Hills Deputy Commissioner, Arunkumar Kembhavi, said over the phone that there has been no incidence of violence on Wednesday and the situation is normal. However, the district administration is taking precautionary measures.

�We are taking all precautionary measures to thwart any incidences of violence in the district. We also filed FIRs against those involved in the violence on Tuesday. No arrest has been made so far,� he added.

On the other hand, some organisations have condemned the �police highhandedness� in this connection. The Movement for Indigenous People�s Right and Livelihood (MIPRL), in its condemnation letter to the Chief Secretary PBO Warjri, said that the incident occurred due to the �gross incompetence of the State Government�.

The organisation further claimed that the DC �precipitated the situation� while the police carried out the assault in a �brutal manner�.

�In order to restore the faith of people stringent action is to be taken against the erring officials. The interest of justice will only be served by suspension from service and immediate transfer of these officers,� MIPRL vice-chairman, Erwin K Syiem Sutgna, said. Moreover, the Civil Society Women�s Organisation demanded a probe into the incident.

More in Entertainment
Similar Posts