Begin typing your search above and press return to search.

Action against NDFB(S) yielding results

By R Dutta Choudhury
  • Whatsapp
  • Telegram
  • Linkedin
  • Print
  • koo
  • Whatsapp
  • Telegram
  • Linkedin
  • Print
  • koo
  • Whatsapp
  • Telegram
  • Linkedin
  • Print
  • koo

GUWAHATI, Dec 23 - One year has elapsed since Assam witnessed one of the most gruesome killings. The incident remains one of the turning points in the history of militancy in Assam as sustained operations, closely monitored by the Government of India, are still continuing, while the National Investigation Agency (NIA) is also investigating into the cases registered in connection with the killings.

More than 70 persons, including women and children were killed by NDFB (S) militants on December 23 last year in separate attacks. The Centre took serious note of the attacks and launched an all-out offensive against the militants involved. For the first time such sustained operations, monitored closely by the Ministry of Home Affairs, is on for a year, which has virtually broken the backbone of the militant outfit.

Security sources pointed out that all the forces engaged in the operation have to send weekly reports to the Home Ministry, while the synergy between the forces involved on the ground and the intelligence agencies also improved. The Home Ministry also made it clear that there would be no talk with the militants involved in killing women and children.

The sustained operations led to the killing of 23 militants belonging to the NDFB (S) , while around 240 others were arrested. More than 300 couriers of the militants were also arrested, which cut the supply lines and led to more arrests. However, several senior members of the outfit including G Bidai, who reportedly masterminded the December 23 attacks, are still at large.

The NIA registered five cases in connection with the killings and senior officers of the Agency including its director visited the scenes of crime. The NIA has so far arrested 43 militants for their involvement in the killings and chargesheets were filed against most of the arrested militants. Official sources said that further investigations are on but the NIA decided to file chargesheets against those already arrested so that they are not bailed out because of the delay in filing of chargesheets. Sources said the forensic tests confirmed that the weapons recovered by the NIA were used by the ultras to launch their gruesome attacks.

Next Story
Similar Posts
Action against NDFB(S) yielding results

GUWAHATI, Dec 23 - One year has elapsed since Assam witnessed one of the most gruesome killings. The incident remains one of the turning points in the history of militancy in Assam as sustained operations, closely monitored by the Government of India, are still continuing, while the National Investigation Agency (NIA) is also investigating into the cases registered in connection with the killings.

More than 70 persons, including women and children were killed by NDFB (S) militants on December 23 last year in separate attacks. The Centre took serious note of the attacks and launched an all-out offensive against the militants involved. For the first time such sustained operations, monitored closely by the Ministry of Home Affairs, is on for a year, which has virtually broken the backbone of the militant outfit.

Security sources pointed out that all the forces engaged in the operation have to send weekly reports to the Home Ministry, while the synergy between the forces involved on the ground and the intelligence agencies also improved. The Home Ministry also made it clear that there would be no talk with the militants involved in killing women and children.

The sustained operations led to the killing of 23 militants belonging to the NDFB (S) , while around 240 others were arrested. More than 300 couriers of the militants were also arrested, which cut the supply lines and led to more arrests. However, several senior members of the outfit including G Bidai, who reportedly masterminded the December 23 attacks, are still at large.

The NIA registered five cases in connection with the killings and senior officers of the Agency including its director visited the scenes of crime. The NIA has so far arrested 43 militants for their involvement in the killings and chargesheets were filed against most of the arrested militants. Official sources said that further investigations are on but the NIA decided to file chargesheets against those already arrested so that they are not bailed out because of the delay in filing of chargesheets. Sources said the forensic tests confirmed that the weapons recovered by the NIA were used by the ultras to launch their gruesome attacks.